Harvest Safety Tips
National Farm Safety and Health Week is Here
It’s National Farm Safety and Health Week! Farmers across Wisconsin preparing to harvest the crops we all depend on.
During harvest, there is a huge amount of work to be done within a very short period of time. A few extra minutes can make a big difference and help prevent unnecessary accidents. Cenex has created a harvest safety checklist to help ensure the safety of yourself and others this season:
Whether on the field or off, equipment can present many hazards to farmers during harvest if proper precautions aren’t taken.
* Turn equipment completely off before making repairs or adjustments.
* Don’t wear baggy clothing or jewelry near moving equipment.
* Never leave running equipment unattended.
* Always use safety glasses and noise protection around equipment.
* Take the time to tie down your cargo loads to make sure nothing falls off.
* Clean dirty headlights and tail lights before taking equipment on the road at night. Make it easier for other drivers to see you by using equipment flashers at night.
* Drive at speeds that ensure you maintain control of the equipment at all times.
Refueling is a task that feels so routine, it’s easy to forget about some of the dangers. Below are basic safety measures to take each time you're at the pump.
* Don’t multitask — refueling is not the time to complete other chores or tasks.
* Stay close to the tank so you can act quickly if something goes awry.
* Avoid smoking and other open flames while refueling.
* Don’t overfill the fuel tank — 95 percent full is a good rule of thumb for all vehicle and container types.
* Turn off the engine completely and, if there’s a chance the equipment could roll, chock the wheels.
* Clean up any spills immediately.
Also consider CENEX® AUTOMATED FUEL DELIVERY (AFD) to make sure you never run out of Cenex Premium Diesel. With AFD, you’ll spend less time worrying, checking tanks and waiting for deliveries and more time in the field.
In addition to equipment and refueling safety, there are some steps you should take to ensure your own personal safety during the busy season.
* Take several breaks throughout the day to keep yourself alert.
* Get enough sleep — fatigue can easily lead to loss of focus.
* Avoid driving or operating complex machinery during the last couple hours of the work day, which is when you’re most vulnerable.
Staying safe during harvest can be straightforward using the above checklist as a guideline. But, should you find yourself with questions, CONTACT YOUR LOCAL CENEX DEALER for support. Here’s to a safe and bountiful harvest.
Celebrating National Agriculture Day - 3/20/2023
Equine Educational Event at MHS this Weekend - 3/15/2023
More Than Tires and For More Than Members - 3/13/2023
"Chick Chat" Event Returns on March 14 - 3/7/2023
Local Trucker Depends on ProVision - 3/1/2023
What to Know About Forage Inoculants - 2/24/2023
Celebrating our Recent Retirees: Dan Zierke and Arlene Krohn - 2/20/2023
Forecast: Rising Input Prices and Tight Supplies - 2/13/2023
Feed and Supplies for Life-style Animals - 1/30/2023
Cattlemen's Tour Views Grazing Alternatives - 1/27/2023
Progress Being Made on Various Provision Building Projects - 1/23/2023
ProVision Agronomists Receive Ongoing Education and Training - 1/20/2023
You're Invited to Attend Upcoming ProVision Partners Mineral Meetings - 1/13/2023
Winter Lawn Care Tips - 1/3/2023
Is Your Vehicle Ready for Winter? - 12/13/2022
Get Your Soil Tested with Help from ProVision Partners - 12/6/2022
Loyalty Programs Available at ProVision Country Stores - 11/29/2022
Earn Gifts for Gallons - 11/15/2022
ProVision Cenex Locations Get Fresh New Look - 11/7/2022
Concerned about fuel prices? Not sure what's going on with diesel? Nervous about when to buy fertilizer? - 11/2/2022
Hixton Feed Mill Construction Update - 10/31/2022
Benefiting Local Farmers with Drone Technology for Forage Inventory - 10/21/2022
Celebrating the 7 Cooperative Principles During Co-Op Month - 10/6/2022
Check-R-Board Days Returns This October - 9/27/2022
Silage Burndown Days - 9/26/2022
Harvest Safety Tips
Full Vehicle Service Available at Tire Service Center - 9/14/2022
YOUR CO-OP NOW OPERATES 11 CENEX C-STORES - 9/6/2022
PREMIUM PERFORMS AND SAVES BIG TIME! - 8/29/2022
DOMESTIC/GLOBAL FACTORS LEAD TO RECORD PRICES - 8/18/2022
Granton Cenex Location Makes Updates - 8/15/2022
ProVision Agronomist Shares Tips on Fighting Tar Spot - 8/10/2022
Home Heat Budget Pay Program Available - 8/10/2022
ProVision Can Help You Find the Fertilizer You Need - 8/1/2022
ProVision Retirees Share Wisdom - 7/28/2022
Heat Abatement in Dairy Cattle - 7/25/2022
ProVision Partners at Farm Technology Days - 7/11/2022
June Dairy Breakfasts - 5/25/2022
Construction Begins on Hixton Feed Mill - 5/13/2022
George Heil Named April "Employee of the Month" - 5/9/2022
ProVision Partners Feed Team Recognized at Purina Summit - 4/25/2022
Make the Switch to ProVision Partners Cenex Propane - 4/14/2022
ProVision Partners to Host Informational Meeting for Pond Owners - 4/11/2022
PROVISION PARTNERS HAS OPTIONS TO HELP WITH LAWN HEALTH - 3/23/2022
2022 Grower Meetings to be Held - 3/22/2022
Chick Days Returns at the Country Store - 2/10/2022
Chippewa Valley Ag Conference to be held in January - 12/10/2021
Granton Cenex Celebrates Grand Opening with Specials - 11/1/2021
Harvest Safety Starts With Each of Us - 9/7/2021
ProVision Partners Cooperative has purchased the Granton Convenience Store - 8/23/2021
Add Tissue Sampling to Soil Sampling For Better Crop Yield Potential - 5/20/2021
Do Wisconsin Farmers Have to Pay Fuel Tax? - 4/20/2021